On Friday I wrote a blog post offering five thoughts on the Fantastic Four. I’ve had that one in my head for a while—since I restarted this blog actually. Originally it was going to be four things about the Fantastic Four—which, obviously, makes sense thematically. But I’ve been writing five thoughts about the Raptors every game and I’ve found myself enjoying it; so much so that I’m actually considering writing every post that way.
As a matter of fact… I have five thoughts about it:
- It’s a bit gimmicky. But it’s also a decent hook for a blog that doesn’t have much connective tissue beyond “things I like to write about.”
- There are some inherent challenges—but challenges are good. The first challenge is that it’s a constraint, a structure that I’m locking myself into that may not always fit “what I like to write about.” But I think that’s a good challenge. If it’s one of those short little curated pieces, maybe it’ll make me think more deeply about it. If it’s something I initially want to write more about, maybe it’ll help me focus my thoughts. And if I can’t make it fit the format… then maybe it isn’t right for the blog?
- If I really want to go deep, I can always do “five more thoughts.”
- My Photog category—which was essentially my Instagram replacement—definitely doesn’t fit this format. But I have a couple thoughts on how to make it work… and besides, I haven’t been using it much anyway. If this little idea works—and we’ll see at the end of this week—
- Part of the reason I’m doing this blog at all is to try new things and experiment with my writing. Maybe this will work, maybe it won’t!
Now my next challenge is finding a better way to title these posts! I can’t keep calling them “five thoughts on…” every time…